Hmm…What have I been up to lately? I just had cow tongue for dinner. It was actually pretty good- very tender, and the sauce that went with was flavorful. Unfortunately I don’t think my stomach liked it as it is now growling at me (and this is not a hungry growl).
Last Wednesday I went to a debate set up by this science organization in Avignon about the teaching of evolution and intelligent design- which is nearly only an American phenomenon, although some European countries are starting to become interested in it. For France it has never really been a huge question, as it is a strictly secular country- no religious symbols are allowed in public schools (cross necklace, muslim headscarf). Anyway, so the event started with a documentary on the U.S. intelligent design movement, followed by a debate featuring a panel of 3 scientists. Although I think it would have been more interesting if the debate had been more structured, I definitely left with a more concrete idea of what French people think of American society. It made me want to get back in the lab and get on with some research, after all the talk of genetic chance and mutations.
I completely missed out on the celebration for the “nouveau” wine of the season. It was November 20th, when all of the wine from grapes picked this season first goes on sale. I was wondering why there were a bunch of old people dressed up in colored robes carrying flags and playing music when I was walking home from class. Apparently there was free wine tasting and everything. Oh well, I actually went to a mosque instead. There is a growing Arab community here, and they are building a new mosque in Avignon. They invited the general neighborhood/community to come visit the mosque and talk with them, which was apparently a pretty big deal. My host mom told me about it, and I went with her to see it. Although I was very conscious of being tall and blonde (which I should be used to by now), I learned more about Islam and started to understand a little more the interactions between the muslim and catholic communities here.
Last week I went to an English tea house here in Avignon, called “Simple Simon.” Its being in the rich neighborhood of Avignon should have clued me in that it would be both classy and pricey, but I must say that I was stunned. The décor of English teapots and linens, along with the central table of various cakes, custards, pastries, and desserts was quite pleasant. I wouldn’t mind spending every afternoon eating scones with raspberry jam and whipped cream.


This weekend I took a day trip to Nîmes, a nearby town with lots of roman ruins.
It is starting to get pretty cold here, and I wasn’t really prepared to spend a day outside.
I did take a break to warm up in a café and had some honey-spice tea, which was great.
The best thing that I saw was the Tour Magne, an ancient roman lookout tower.
Just as we approached, the sun was setting and it really made for a breathtaking view of the city.

The roman amphitheater

Tour Magne
I can’t wait for Thanksgiving! At the American Institute, we are having a big party where all of the students, their host families, teachers, and staff are invited to a big Thanksgiving potluck. Today my host dad and I made a pumpkin pie to take, using mom’s recipe. My host parents knew that pumpkin pie was a Thanksgiving tradition (only because they have hosted Americans before), but they thought it was a savory dish- hence the confusion when he suggested adding cheese to it before he saw the recipe. We ended up doing it the traditional dessert way, so hopefully everyone will enjoy it at thanksgiving. It’s a little rustic because we cooked the pumpkin instead of using canned, but I find it charming.
Then, I’m off to Amsterdam for another Thanksgiving celebration!
Also, it’s official: I’m studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia next semester
1 comment:
I can't wait till you get home.
You're going to BALI! Lucky you.
I'm moving ot Pennsylvania! Probably.
Allentown!
Post a Comment