I keep wondering if living here is going to get boring, but so far that’s definitely not happening.
The other night I went out with some other American students and a French girl to a local bar. We met some other French people and spent a few hours drinking and hanging out with them. As we were leaving, this one French guy told us that he works at the bouteillerie (wine shop) at the Palais des Papes, the most famous attraction at Avignon. So on friday a few of us met up with this guy at the Palais, and he let us try 8 different wines from the region and gave us free tickets to go on a tour of the Palais. The six of us spent two hours tasting these different types of wine.
For those of you who know something about wine (aka Brett), these are the ones I tasted- you can tell I’m still slightly clueless because I’m not sure what information about it to give so that it is identifiable. Oh well, I’m still learning- this did really make me realize how complex and intriguing wine can be.
Côtes du Rhône – “Caveau de Costebelle” 2007 (white wine)
Crus méridionaux- Vignerons de Tavel “Prestige des Lauzeraies” 2007 (vin rosé)
Saint-Gervais- Cave des vignerons de St Gervais « Selection Terroir » 2007 (red wine)
Vacqueyras- Domaine Palon 2006 (red wine)
Chateauneuf-du-Pape- Domaine Mayard, « La Crau de ma Mère » 2006 (red wine)
Chateauneuf-du-Pape- Château Cabrières « Cuvée Tradition » 1995 (red wine)
Domaine de la Pigeade, Blanc 2007 (fortified wine)
Vignerons de Beaumes-de-Venise Balma Venitia, « Rosexclusif », Rosé (fortified wine)Some of us wine tasting (me with other americans)


Yesterday I went with a group of students to Saintes Maries de la Mer, which is in the Camargue region of France, and is right on the Mediterranean. We were planning on swimming there, but it ended up being too cold and windy. We still went on a lengthy boat ride, walked on the beach, and toured a famous church there.
Last night, 4 of us went out to check out local free concerts outside around the city. We found one that was entertaining, but it seemed to be attracting a slightly older age group (for proof- we saw our economics professor there). So we walked around and found where all the people our age were hanging out and ended up staying there for a couple of hours, listening first to an African drums group, then a really interesting drumline-type band with everyone wearing kilts but dressed somewhat goth-like. Everyone was dancing like crazy, and I smelled awful when I came back from all the people smoking- but I had so much fun just listening to the music and taking it all in.
One thing I don’t like about going out at night is that no matter what I do, wear, or say, everyone knows I’m American. I don’t know how all of them just know, but you’d think I had it stamped on my forehead. It’s not that I’m ashamed of being American…it’d just be nice to blend in a little more once in awhile. But so far everyone actually has been welcoming and ridiculously nice...although I think it helps that I do speak french.
Tell me if my posts are getting boring! Although I already know they’re not quite as entertaining as Nathan’s (drugstoregaucho.blogspot.com). Well I try to let you all know the exciting things I'm up to anyway
Ciao
3 comments:
Just saw all your pics on Facebook. Beautiful !!! I can hardly wait to see all of this in person. I am so happy you are having such a fun time and getting to enjoy new and different things.
Love, Mom
Sorry you're not blending in - Sweden might have been a better choice for that! ;)
You neglected to mention that you'd started a blog, buttface!
Post a Comment