Monday, October 13, 2008

More best friends in Europe!

Highlights from this weekend:

Mallory came to visit! So, that means that the weekend was automatically fun. When you get to see one of your best friends in Europe and eat amazing food & visit amazing places—it’s a win-win situation.

To show Mallory the best of Avignon, we went to the indoor market (Les Halles) and bought a baguette, two kinds of cheese (chèvre aux herbes, port salut), and some grapes. Then we took our picnic lunch to l’Ile Barthelasse, which is right on the banks of the Rhone and faces the Pont D’Avignon and the Palais des Papes—the best view of Avignon. We finished off our afternoon by exploring the city and relaxing the French way- drinking espresso at a café (well I drank espresso anyway...Mallory opted for the hot chocolate which was also delicious). I don’t know how I have developed a taste for espresso or how I have become able to drink black coffee here (although I still prefer it with sugar), but somehow it has happened.


On Saturday, Mallory and I went with my study abroad program on a hiking trip to the Luberon, which is known as the Colorado of France because of the landscape. There used to be ochre quarries there, so the landscape is surprisingly colorful- every shade of red, orange, and yellow that you can imagine. The weather was perfect, 75 and sunny. When you are there, there is so much to take in that it’s completely overwhelming. There’s the gigantic aspect- the view and the landscape, but there’s also the little things like wild thyme, rosemary, and lavender growing. It was indescribable. You should go.


Saturday night, Mallory and I went to a cute old-style French restaurant that serves tartines (open-faced sandwiches). I was somewhat disappointed by the crepe restaurant that we went to the night before, so I decided that we should go somewhere that I had been before and know is delicious. I convinced Mallory to go the French way and get the tartine w/ three cheeses and pears, and I got a tartine forestière- with mushrooms, bacon, onions, cheese. We finished off dinner by going to the most luxurious looking Italian gelato place that I have ever seen.

It’s no wonder that I don’t really miss American food. But one thing I do miss is cooking. Since I live with a host family, they have been making the food, which is convenient and always delicious. But I’ve talked with my host dad and I think we are going to work it out so that I can help with dinner sometimes and learn how to make French food! Also, I think that I will be on my own for food this weekend since they’re leaving, so I have decided in advance that I am going to go on a cooking frenzy. It shouldn’t be too hard to find friends to feed, as the delicious lunches that I make for myself at school have already caught the attention of others.

I’m having a great time here, but I can’t say that the program is exactly what I was expecting. I am with American students almost all the time, and it frustrates me because I speak English fairly often over here. I like everyone in my program, but I really want to meet French people. So far I only have one French friend that I have hung out with on multiple occasions. The most effective way of meeting people here is talking to people in bars, which is fine but requires a certain degree of caution. My idea of taking yoga to meet people failed miserably, as yoga is apparently only popular here with the 50+ age group (I gave up after going to three different yoga studios in the area and making a fool out of myself at nearly each one due to misunderstanding instructions). I found out about a local club that sets up impromptu meetings for English speakers and French speakers, so I am going to try to do that even though it will require me to speak English. I have also talked to someone about joining the international student club at the local university. I am determined to make more French friends!

Ciao (I know it's confusing but the French use the Italian goodbye all the time)

1 comment:

SheilaE said...

Whats wrong with the 50+ age group?
:)