Sunday, October 5, 2008

weekend fun

I love the weekends!

Last weekend I went to Bordeaux- which is an area of France that I’ve never really been close to before. I had no idea that it was such a big city, but it was enormous! There was this really modern tramway system that was really easy to take (especially since I didn’t really have to figure out how to use it and just followed Noémie). I found it true that Bordeaux is a very bourgeois city. It is much more proper than the south of France where I am and it has more of a high society feel.

It was great to be able to see a friend that I hadn’t seen in over 3 years. It made me feel like I was at home, and plus Noémie is the best hostess ever. We went shopping on Rue St.Catherine, which is the longest shopping street in Europe. We had wonderful food! I had the best crêpes I have ever tasted- seriously, I might as well just give up ever trying to make them again because nothing will compare. I also tried my first “ile flottante” which I think is whipped egg whites with caramel and almonds, floating in crème anglaise. It was just nice to be able to relax and hang out with an old friend.

For me, this weekend started out with a jazz concert. Nathan, I wanted to buy you a shirt from the association of jazz/improve music of Avignon but I don’t think there is anything big enough-sorry. The concert was way different than expected, but amazing. There were 5 musicians: two on violin, one on bass, one playing guitar, and one playing the accordion. These musicians do not normally play together so it was somewhat of a special occasion. They played facing each other in a circle in the middle of the room, with all the spectators set up in concentric circles around them. If I had any music vocabulary whatsoever, I would describe the unique and unexpected sounds produced, but I don’t. So let it suffice to say that you should have been there.

This post is becoming long, so I will start ending it by saying that yesterday I went to Arles (nearby town) and saw a roman amphitheater, theater, baths, a museum with a Christian Lacroix exposition (haute couture), a cathedral, and the café where Van Gogh painted his famous starry night.

Pictures will come soon!

2 comments:

Bigfoot said...

Definitely sticking to Yulie's idea of a long post. I should really cut back in size.

Crazy instrumentation. I would have liked to have been there. Especially to have seen Noemie!!! Grawf! How I miss my frog-friend.

And you of course.

(improv is spelled improv, instead of improve, which is a verb. but then again, if you seen my blog, we all know its a horrific bastard child of spelling error and grammatical suicide)

Lisa said...

OMG, I can't believe I have such a cosmo niece - "Let's see, this weekend I went shopping on Rue St Catherine, tried some ile flottante, then checked out the Christian Lacroix exhibition..." For comparison, my weekend: shopped at TJ Maxx, ate at Red Lobster, and worked out at the gym - I feel so inadequate! I'll have to live vicariously thru your blog - except for the Democrats Abroad meeting! Love ya, Lisa